A Visit To The Book Store: London Foyles

I guess you could say that my visits to bookstores are rare for me now. I tend to go for the online book buying because, for the majority of the time, the books are so much cheaper.

I happened to go to Foyles in London yesterday, spending a good while in there. It doesn't sound the least bit exciting for a reader reading this post, but I assure you I have something interesting to go into. The majority of my pulls go into the section of teen, craft and newly found interest of creative writing. On this book visit I held the urge to wipe out my card to buy a tonne of new books. I found it quite an achievement, especially because I have accountless other books which I have on my self that need to be read.

So the point in this post? I'll call it browseing the shelves. I browsed. Adding different books that I want and wish to read.

So my first stop was the crafts section. This consisted of felt crafts, mini porjects using a variety of mediums, crochet, knitting, sewing, beading, quilting, etc. I only found 2 books in this section that were of interest.

These where the two that I picked out from these sections. The one on the left is a dress making book called Stylish Dress Book: Simple Smocks, Dresses and Tops written by Yoshiko Tsukiori. The book is very simple, consisting of images of the finished dress at the beginning with page numbers where you then turn to at the back of the book. There are diagram images that explain how to sew the dress together. On top of this, which I thought was an added bonus, at the very back there was a sealed bag slipped in which had the dress patterns! All these dresses are very simple and as a keen costume maker, I found this book held enough detail without confusion. I also tend to create my own patterns for costumes so it was also nice to see that there were made patterns at the back.

Moving onto the second book, Big Little Felt Universe: Sew It, Stuff It, Squeeze It, Fun! written by Jeanette Lim. I have had my eye on this book for a while now, but have never been able to find it so I can flick through it before purchasing. If you are very crafty with felt making and sewing, this would definitely be something you could go and look at.  Everything made is in 3D form, so there's cactus plant, cake, fruit and a few doctor equipments. Everything has step-to-step instructions with fully coloured pictures and then templates (BINGO!).
 
I then swiftly moved onto the teen section of the book store. I never really know why, but whenever I get into any bookstore, I find myself needing to find the authors' books who I enjoy reading. Just randomly sweep over the shelves to find those authors first then I can happily browse. Anyone else do that?...Or just me?

Where You Are (Between the Lines, #2)
Anyway, to add to my to-read pile is Tammara Webber's Where You Are, which is the second book of the Between the Lines series. This book continues to follow Emma and Ried but we are indroduced to the narration of Graham, with the events all after the filming together. It almost picks up from the ending of the first book, and is also the last book in the series that has Emma and Graham as a main character focus.

Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)Book number 2 is the first book in the Starcrossed series by Josephine Angelini which I've hear tonnes of raving reviews on! I have been very close to buying both the first and second one but held it in. This book is the first of a trilogy and the last book has recently been released! It follows sixteen year old Helen Hamilton who discovers all these myths that aren't just ancient history and meets a boy named Lucas who has a major role in the event that is about to happen. All for Greek Mythology!
Mind Games (Mind Games, #1)

 


Last but not least, I came across the hardback of  Mind Games by Kiersten White. The reviews for this book has been mixed but I have heard many authors who have been reviewing and sharing their thoughts of this book, which have all been very positive. Here's a little summary for ya all:

Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of the future.

Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey. [via GoodReads]

How can that be all the books you want to read, you may be asking? And the honest truth is that this is only a tiny part of all the books I looked at yesterday. I had to only pick out three books at random because otherwise this post would be far too long - But I hope, if you haven't already, that you check out these books and maybe next time I will do another "To Be Read" post!


One last thing, I posted this glorious picture of a HUGE stack of Sarah Dessen books on twitter, and she retweeted me!

AAAHHHHH! My world collapsed! If she knew how much I loved her as an author and what that retweeting meant...Oh gosh...amazing!
Haha, ok, my excitement over ;P

Let me know what books you've got on your to read pile? Have you read any of the books above? Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment