Book Review: Matched by Ally Condie

10401868Title: Matched (Matched #1)
Author: Ally Condie
Published: 2nd June 2011 (Penguin) 
Pages: 366

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow. [Via Goodreads]

My Thoughts:
GAAAHHHH! This book was so disappointing in so many ways! As well as hearing about this book, the main reason it did stick in my mind was the cover. I absolutely love the cover, the bubble the matching dress and bubble the idea of being trapped...yes! 

So as soon as I started this book it really did intrigue me. I loved the whole idea of how you find out your 'match', seeing them on a screen and then taking home a card which stores all the information about them. That part really got me, just imagining the whole build up to it. But for Cassia, her match doesn't appear of the big screen. It stays black because her best friend, Xander, is her match and he is in the same room! 

But then when she gets home to see Ky flash on Xander's card. Predictably, it is a 'glitch.' However, the question remains in Cassia's mind, since when does the Society make mistakes? Do they ever?

My main issue with this book was the danger. I didn't feel any sort of danger or threat whilst reading, maybe it just wasn't strong enough, but all I know is that Cassia, Ky and even Xander got away with so much without a punishment. The actions that were done to act as punishment were also quite small. From what I took in, I would of loved a bit more description about the Society as a whole, it wasn't really very clear throughout. 

I also didn't like Cassia's narration with her indecisiveness. It really bothered me with all her bouncing around. I can't stand it when feelings and thoughts bounce around so often! Yes, maybe it did show she was constantly thinking but I think there's always a limit. Going past that limit edges onto annoying. 

I was so completely disappointed with this book, I really thought it was going to be so much better, but sadly it didn't reach those high expectations. I don't know if I'll be reading the rest of this series or not yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment